As the holidays approach, it’s easy to start thinking: “How am I going to follow my nutrition plan? What about a frequent exercise schedule?”
At Farrell’s, we provide you with the tools to keep on track. Staying focused on nutrition and exercise will keep you accountable to your later goals.
You can start developing healthy habits now by trying a free week of fitness classes at FXB LaVista. Here are a couple of other ideas to help you make it through the coming season while still working toward your goals.
4 Helpful Tips to Navigate the Holiday Season
1. Set Your Alarm Clock
Do your workout right away in the morning if your schedule allows it. The last few months of the year are hectic, but it’s better to cross your workout off your to-do list—instead of telling yourself you’ll make it up another day.
2. Plan Your Meals
It’s easier to plan your meals a few days beforehand, instead of making poor decisions when you’re hungry and without a dinner plan. Our Simple Meal Plan makes grocery shopping and meal planning nearly effortless. Contact us to get your copy.
If you’re eating at a restaurant during the weekend, change your meals the other days to keep your nutrition proportioned.
Related: 6 Reasons Why Farrell’s Nutrition Works
Sample Weekday Meal Plan
Here’s an example of an everyday meal plan you can customize:
- Breakfast: healthy protein shake
- Lunch: nutrient-rich salad with fresh veggies and protein
- Dinner: chicken with a salad, acorn squash or sweet potato
Here’s an easy brined chicken recipe from AllSpice Culinarium in Des Moines.
You only need two ingredients:
- One whole chicken
- All Spice Brining Mix (half packet)
- Boil 3 cups of water in a small saucepan. Stir in a half packet of the brining mix and boil until the crystals dissolve.
- While you are waiting for the brine, rinse the chicken under cold water. Put the chicken in a large stockpot with cold water and ice until the chicken is fully covered. Pour brine into the stockpot and stir to consistently distribute.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight. The following day, rinse the chicken before roasting it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan, breast side up and brush olive oil or butter over the chicken. (Optional: Stuff with celery and onion.)
- Bake uncovered for 75 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. Toward the end of baking, broil your chicken if you like it browned.
- Remove from oven and let the chicken rest for 15-20 minutes.
You can also follow this recipe to make your Thanksgiving turkey. If cooking turkey, use the complete packet of brining mix.
3. Take a Cozy Break
Locate your favorite blanket, find a comfy spot and take a nap. A 30-minute nap is rejuvenating and helps you keep healthy during the busy holiday season.
If you need help getting to sleep, check out the Calm app. You’ll rest peacefully and wake to a pleasant chorus of birds, not a loud phone alarm.
4. Enjoy the Season
Commit to find joy in the upcoming busy season.
- Schedule a dinner with friends
- Lower your everyday stress by spending time on Sundays meal planning
- Take a break when you need it
Build Healthy Habits Today with FXB
Now is the time to get going on building healthy habits to carry you through the holidays. At Farrell’s LaVista, we’ll instruct you on nutrition, exercise and more. Get started right away by claiming your free week of classes with us.